The book of James says "he then who knows the good he ought to do, yet doesn't do it, sins". Even if you don't believe the Bible, this is some good advice to live on. If there's something you feel you should be doing right and don't do it, then what good are your actions? As a follower of Christ, this looks different in that the good I ought to do is prompted by the Holy Spirit rather than by my worldview of morality. And a worldview of morality outside the Bible isn't necessarily bad, unless seen through the eyes of the Bible, in which case it isn't perfect.
Yet I'm just as bad as the next person. I see what I should be doing or saying, or where I should be going, but don't. And like most others, a big argument for why is "that's just who I am," or "that's just where I am right now". As a Christian, I can take that a step farther and note God's love, forgiveness and patience. He cares enough to forgive me when I don't do these things, so it's all good, right? No... we use this to make ourselves feel better about what we've done or said, rather than using it to feel broken, to represent (or turn around) from our actions and fight who we are or where we are right now to become better... in my eyes ultimately better as who Christ would want me to be.
We need to start taking His love and sovereignty more as a way to see how we need to improve rather than a way to justify ourselves. Stop living so reactive and start trying to figure out how we should change. Stop waiting for the Holy Spirit to make it obvious and start GOING to Him to see what's next. Stop justifying my own actions and start living in glorious glow of Christ's justification for me.
Sunday, April 07, 2019
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment