Why do bad things happen to good people? If God loves
us, why does He allow bad things to happen?
I believe God is sovereign – independent,
self-governing, autonomous. He can do, and does, whatever He wants, whenever He
wants, in whatever fashion He wants. Isaiah even tells us “’my thoughts are not
your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways’, declares the Lord” (v. 8). My understanding
(or lack thereof) does not precede His sovereign decision.
In Genesis 3, we read about the “fall of man” - sin
entered the world through Adam and Eve, and one of the consequences of this –
among other types of suffering listed in this passage - was death (v. 19). In
Romans 3:23, we’re told that “all have sinned and fall short of the Glory of
God”, and that the wages of this sin is death (Romans 6:23). So just like the
first humans, the consequence of my sin is death – the consequence of your sin
is death. We all die – even the “best” among us.
So even if I’m following Leviticus 11:44 and I Peter
3:16, to be holy just as God is Himself holy, I also know that it doesn’t
matter when it comes to daily living. Even Jesus says, “He causes his sun to
rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the
unrighteous” (Matthew 5:45).
If I put all of this together, I’m hearing that I’m a
sinner that has earned death as a result (Romans 3:23, 6:23). And even if I do
good works and really strive for holiness to be like God Himself (Leviticus 11:44),
it still rains on me (Matthew 5:45), and I’m guaranteed trials in this life
(James 1:2).
In that case, I answer my own questions: because we’re
all sinners who have earned death.
BUT… I Peter 1:6-7 further clarifies the benefit of
the call to holiness: “In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little
while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trails. These have come
so that your faith – of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though
refined by fire – may be provided genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor
when Jesus Christ is revealed.”
I may not know when I’ll die, but I know I will. This
is the fate of us all. And based on Genesis 3, I’m not guaranteed an easy life
because of sin. But what I do now in response to the trials and the knowledge
that I will die one day after those trials are all over, that is the call to
holiness.
I don’t have to understand why God does what He does.
My faith and holiness are my response to the consequences of sin which prove I
trust Him no matter what. The bad things aren’t because of Him. The bad things
are because of you, and me. We’ll all face bad things, ending in the ultimate
bad thing: death. Even the most righteous and well-meaning of us die – it doesn’t
matter.
“Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus
Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through
the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead” (I Peter 1:3).
No comments:
Post a Comment